Gimp 2.2.6 resolved!

Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 03:21:50 -0500
From: "Mumia W." <mumia.w.18.spam+nospam@earthlink.net>
To: Debian User <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Subject: libcairo2 and gimp 2.2.6

On 07/24/2006 11:37 PM, djhack wrote:
> Results of perl script below:
>
> --- begin ---
> /lib/libgimpwidgets-2.0.so.0

Use dlocate to find out what package
/lib/libgimpwidgets-2.0.so.0 is in. Then execute "aptitude
show <package-name> | grep Version", e.g.

$ dlocate /lib/libgimpwidgets-2.0.so.0
libgimp2.0: /usr/lib/libgimpwidgets-2.0.so.0.200.6
libgimp2.0: /usr/lib/libgimpwidgets-2.0.so.0

$ aptitude show libgimp2.0 | grep Version

Also, do this:

$ md5sum libgimpwidgets-2.0.so.0.200.6

My output from md5sum is this:
b0cb8dfa83ab4600b252ffbb0b24570f  libgimpwidgets-2.0.so.0.200.6

Many many many thanks to all, and I apologize that I can't figure out how to properly reply to the thread with the "balsa" email program I currently use.

Anyway, I have solved my problem with gimp 2.2.6. In a nutshell it appears that, a while back, when I was trying to compile gimp-shop, that package had links to libcairo2 and libpangocairo in its gimpwidgets library. I never got gimp-shop to compile, and in the process broke a lot of stuff which I spent a week fixing. I thought I had removed every trace of it and its related packages from my machine. Aparently not. Thus gimp choked on these non-existent files that gtk thought it needed.

Even more evil as that goes was that gimp's final installer script was looking for gimp's default configuration in the home directory of the person who created the debian installer for gimp-shop! I don't know who "suramya" is but they surely don't exist on my machine. Be careful you package maker people!

I have learned volumes from all of your help. And you can be sure that I will be bugging you again about something or other. All this is a good reason to stay with stable for me.

DJ...