Re: debian-user-digest Digest V2006 #1619

> Regarding the libcairo2 problem: You are right, it is not
> available in Sarge. (I did not really check before.) It is
> also not possible to just install the version from testing
> since they require a different version of libc6. I
> downloaded gimp 2.2.6-1sarge1 and checked it with ldd: It
> also links against libcairo.so.2. So it seems that we have
> a bug here, probably introduced when the maintainer
> recompiled the gimp package after incorporating the
> security fix. You should file a bug report against gimp. It
> is very easy if you use the package "reportbug" which will
> automatically include the relevant information about your
> system. Give it a title like "2.2.6-1sarge1 links against
> libraries from testing" and include the output of "ldd
> $(which gimp) | grep 'not found'" in the bug report. The
> maintainer can probably fix it quickly.
>
> If you need to work with gimp in the meantime then you can
> downgrade to an older version which is most likely still in
> your package cache. Just do not open any .xcf files from
> untrusted sources since the older version is vulnerable to
> the buffer overflow exploit.

I just started reading this thread, so I hope I'm not asking
anyone to rehash a lot of the discussion.

I'm using Sarge, and I recently upgraded my gimp to
2.2.6-1sarge1 per the security recommendation. I used
"aptitude --download-only upgrade" followed later by "aptitude
upgrade."

The upgrade went through without any problems, and I'm able to
launch gimp normally. When I do 'ldd `which gimp`' I don't see
any reference to libcairo2. My sources.list only contains
Sarge repositories, and I haven't done any apt-pinning.

My current gimp and gimp-data packages were automatically
downloaded from security.debian.org by aptitude. Gimp works
here and is not dependent upon libcairo2 here.

Lucky you! I tried your steps with aptitude. Alas, only to find that the problem still exists, and I had to go back and fetch gedit, ark, kdeprint, and synaptic again. I don't quite understand how these package managers determine how packages are "unused". (Which of course pulled back in a lot of the rest of the libs that were removed.)

I run my X11 system with enlightenment only. No KDE or Gnome. I tried them both, so now I pick and choose what apps I really want. Perhaps I am missing something in doing this?

Can you send me the output from your "ldd" of your gimp package? Does it refer to "libpangocairo" somewhere? That lib comes from the libcairo2 package.

DJ...