Re: dchroot not working

On 7/23/06, Mauricio Ortiz Calvao <orca@if.ufrj.br> wrote:
I have a sarge installation in my destop and just created an etch chroot
in order to assess the progress of the testing release and try some new
stuff like openoffice 2.0 and gfortran, for instance.

The problem is when I try to run any application from the chroot etch jail
via dchroot, as normal or root user, by executing, e.g.,

$ dchroot -c etch -d openoffice

the following happens:

/usr/bin/openoffice: line 7: my: command not found
/usr/bin/openoffice: line 9: my: command not found
/usr/bin/openoffice: line 11: my: command not found
/usr/bin/openoffice: openoffice: line 13: syntax error near unexpected
token `{'
/usr/bin/openoffice: openoffice: line 13: `if ($SystemInstallDir =~ /^@/)
{'
dchroot: Child exited non-zero.
dchroot: Operation failed.

Of course, under the chroot itself, I am sure able to launch openoffice
2.0 with no problems.

I had a problem similar to this and found that it was caused by
upgrading the login package from the sarge version.  I fixed the
problem by setting the login package to "hold" in aptitude before
upgrading the chroot to etch or sid.

It seems that the schroot package works fine between the login package
versions, but schroot is only available in etch.