Re: newbie question -- Using Bootlog, Startup Messages, Console

On Sat, Jul 22, 2006 at 15:15:40 -0400, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> Willie Wonka wrote:
> >Mumia W. wrote:
> >>AFAIK, that's not the way you enable boot-logging. Just edit
> >>/etc/default/bootlogd.
> >>

> >It did not take affect after a warm (re)boot -- so I'll try your
> >suggestion -
> >but why wouldn't the man page say how to enable it? Or where should I look
> >for
> >that kind of info instead?
>
> Worked for me after a reboot.
>
> I'll echo the question about where to find that out other than a helpful
> reply on this list.

A manpage does not always include specific info about how things are set
up in Debian, unfortunately. (You can file a wishlist bug asking the
package maintainer to include a brief statement about where to find the
configuration files.)

In such cases it often helps to look for all system files with a
suspicious name; so you would try

dpkg -S bootlogd

Then you can have a look at the files which are reported. This command
will also tell you which package contains bootlogd, so you can run

dpkg -L initscripts

to find out where other important information might be. (Often it is in
the /usr/share/doc/packagename directory.)

--
Regards,
          Florian