How well does apt-build work?

It would be nice if I could get a performance boost by compiling my
packages for my hardware.  Apt-build seems to be a good answer for this:
http://julien.danjou.info/article-apt-build.html

But I have a few questions:
1.) Is apt-build safe in the sense it doesn't foul up your system when
you compile packages instead of installing them the "traditional way"?

2.) Is there really a performance boost?

3.)Does anyone recommend it?

4.) If it is such a great tool why doesn't it come with the rest of the
default apt commands like apt-get.  Why do you have to install it
separately if it is such a good idea?

				Joseph Smidt

Joseph Smidt
jsmidt@byu.edu