Re: linux-image-2.6.15-1-686 - hotplug

On Fri, Jul 21, 2006 at 09:31:55 -0700, lakili wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm glad I've bumped into this Nabble website to browse all kinds of Debian
> forums.
>
> I'm a fairly new Debian user -- moved from Libranet to Ubuntu and now to
> Debian. I have a PII.
>
> I made a minimal install of Sarge (Fluxbox and only the software I need) and
> I've upgraded to Etch, I think, mostly.
>
> I see I can upgrade to  kernel 2.6.15-1 without recompiling  it (I will some
> time for the fun of it...).
>
> However the command apt-get install linux-image-2.6.15-1-686 shows hotplug
> will be uninstalled.
>
> Dose that mean my USB storage devices won't work anymore? I have a USB Zip
> drive and a small USB key - - actually  the silly Zip drive refuses to mount
> (sda4 isn't good enough for it!, but that's a different problem).
>
> Should I go ahead and install a new version of hotplug afterwards or another
> package?

Hotplug will be uninstalled because the new(er) kernels require a newer
version of udev. The good news is that this newer version of udev
incorporates the functionality of hotplug, so you won't need to install
any other packages after the upgrade. The bad news is that it will then
be somewhat difficult to use the old kernels with your installation.
(This is not really "bad news" for most people, but it is important to
realize it.)

Also remember that it is recommended that you purge the hotplug config
files after the upgrade. (There is a message about this during upgrade,
but people miss it sometimes.)

--
Regards,
          Florian