RESOLVED: Re: New UDEV breaks my rules

Mathias Brodala wrote:
Hi Andrew.

At some point I upgraded UDEV, and the following rule broke:

BUS="usb", SYSFS{product}="Griffin PowerMate", NAME="powermate", SYMLINK="input/powermate", GROUP="audio", MODE="0660"

[…]

What am I doing wrong?
For the lazy, here is my new, "fixed", rule:
DRIVER=="powermate", SYMLINK+="input/powermate", GROUP="audio", MODE="0660"

You should correct the syntax corresponding to the following guide:

http://www.reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html
True... but to be a little bit more specific:

You have several instances of "=" (assignment operator) where you want "=="
(comparison for equality).
Thanks, found that.

This and the necessity of „+=“ for the SYMLINK command should make this
rule work again.
Hmm, my rule seemed to work without the +, but I added it in anyway to assure future compatibility. :)

udev used to tolerate the use of = in place of
== , but in some recent version it stopped doing so, causing lots of
people's custom rules (including mine) to break, and generating lots of "why
did my udev rules stop working?" traffic in Usenet groups and forums.

Nevertheless I think this was the right decision.
I guess it would have been nice if the rule syntax was more static before udev was forced on everyone, but here's to life on the cutting edge. :) Personally, it seems like a much better solution than the old /dev, but only if you understand what's going on. Otherwise it makes you wonder what the (#(%& is going on in /dev.

Jason Martens