Re: apt has wrong links

On 7/16/06, Florian Kulzer <florian@molphys.leidenuniv.nl> wrote:
On Sun, Jul 16, 2006 at 03:12:44 -0400, Chuckk Hubbard wrote:
> It is still using the files in /var/lib/apt/lists/, it hasn't updated
> them, and there is nothing in /partial.

> I'm searching the files in the folder now and seeing the faulty info
> on hotplug; but one of the other files has the correct, later version;
> somehow it's only showing me the old one.

Whoa, you either have some hardware problem which makes your computer
act in a semi-chaotic manner, or you are poking at too many things at
once. I think you should ignore the resolution, jack, etc. problems for
the moment and focus on the udev/hotplug thing first. (and maybe there is
an apt configuration problem...)

BTW, I temporarily fixed the problem... I found two headings for
"hotplug" in two different directories, and changed the one with the
odd version number to something like "hotplug-****ing-****ard," at
which point Synaptic showed them as two hotplugs, and I was able to
select the recent one.

I propose that you do the following:

1) Run "apt-get update" as root. Does this work? If you get any error
   messages post them here.

no error messages; it is still accessing the Italian server.

2) Try "apt-get install -f" next. Post the entire output of this command.

Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done

3) Likewise, we need to know the result of "apt-cache policy hotplug
   udev". (You can run this command as a normal user.)

hotplug:
 Installed: 0.0.20040329-22
 Candidate: 0.0.20040329-22
 Version Table:
*** 0.0.20040329-22 0
       500 http://ftp.it.debian.org sarge/main Packages
       100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
udev:
 Installed: 0.056-3
 Candidate: 0.056-3
 Version Table:
*** 0.056-3 0
       500 http://ftp.it.debian.org sarge/main Packages
       100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

====================
(due to me hunting down hotplug)

4) Finally, we need to know what you have in /etc/apt/sources.list. If
   you have the files /etc/apt/apt.conf and/or /etc/apt/preferences post
   their contents as well.

OK, sources.list (I added the bottom 4 earlier, and commented out two
when they caused problems; before I touched the file there were 3
identical sets of addresses, commented out except the bottom one of
each set):
===========================
# deb file:///cdrom/ sarge main

# deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux A/DeMuDi 1.2.1 _Sarge_ - Unofficial i386
Binary-1 (20050627)]/ unstable main

# Security updates
# deb http://demudi.agnula.org/packages/demudi/ demudi main/

# Bleeding-edge packages
# deb http://demudi.agnula.org/packages/demudi/ demudi main

# Debian official archive
# deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing main

# Security updates
# deb http://demudi.agnula.org/packages/demudi/ demudi main/

# Bleeding-edge packages
# deb http://demudi.agnula.org/packages/demudi/ demudi main

# Debian official archive
# deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing main

# Security updates
# deb http://demudi.agnula.org/packages/demudi/ demudi main/

# Bleeding-edge packages
# deb http://demudi.agnula.org/packages/demudi/ demudi main

# Debian official archive
# deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing main

# A/DeMuDi stable
deb http://demudi.agnula.org/packages/demudi/ stable main

# Debian stable
deb http://ftp.it.debian.org/debian/ sarge main

# Debian testing
# deb http://ftp.it.debian.org/debian/ etch main

# A/DeMuDi development
# deb http://demudi.agnula.org/packages/demudi/ testing main
===========================

/etc/apt/preferences:

Package: *
Pin: release a=testing, o=Debian
Pin-Priority: 501

Package: *
Pin: release a=unstable, o=Debian
Pin-Priority: 101

Package: *
Pin: release o=AGNULA
Pin-Priority: 1001

There is also /etc/apt/apt.conf.d, with 70debconf and 80cdd in it...

Thanks.

-Chuckk