Re: apt has wrong links

On Sun, Jul 16, 2006 at 03:12:44 -0400, Chuckk Hubbard wrote:
> On 7/15/06, John O'Hagan <johnohagan@iprimus.com.au> wrote:
> >>
> >> The local file paths are incorrect as well... does that mean fixing
> >> the URLs won't help until I fix those as well?
> >>
> >[...]
> >
> >I'm pretty sure that if all is working, the files in /var/lib/apt/lists/
> >will
> >take care of themselves - they get overwritten on each update.
> >
> >That said, it can't hurt to delete any files in
> >/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/ in
> >case they are blocking the update somehow - I remember having that problem
> >once.
> >
> >John
>

> Wow.  Does this ever end?
> I realized I used the Italian example from the page you sent for
> sarge, so I replaced it with a US site.  Again and again, but under
> "repositories," Synaptic still shows the Italian site over and over,
> reboot after reboot (the US site in sources.list does not show up in
> the repositories menu, and the Italian site is removed from it
> completely).  And then I checked the Italian site to see what version
> of hotplug it has, and it is 0.0.20040329-22, and yet Synaptic is
> STILL telling me:
> "udev:
>  Depends: hotplug (>=0.0.20040329-17) but 0.0.20040329-16ubuntu17 is
> to be installed"
>
> It is still using the files in /var/lib/apt/lists/, it hasn't updated
> them, and there is nothing in /partial.
>
> I thought I was starting to understand this process, but either I'm
> doing something wrong or Linux is.
> After wrestling this for a few hours, I discovered that, on startup,
> my screen res is wrong (I've read many times of this problem), but
> it's actually higher than I want it.  It chooses the highest, which my
> video supports, but I keep selecting the next down and saying apply as
> default, and it doesn't, and this is the only value I've ever
> selected- it was defaulting to this for the past few days.
>
> And, after wrestling with apt for a few hours, around the same time as
> the screen res thing, Linux has started opening two "Jack Audio
> Connection Kit"s and a qjackctl when I start up.  After boot, if I hit
> alt-tab, I see 3 jacks.
> I'm kind of speechless.
>
> I'm searching the files in the folder now and seeing the faulty info
> on hotplug; but one of the other files has the correct, later version;
> somehow it's only showing me the old one.

Whoa, you either have some hardware problem which makes your computer
act in a semi-chaotic manner, or you are poking at too many things at
once. I think you should ignore the resolution, jack, etc. problems for
the moment and focus on the udev/hotplug thing first. (and maybe there is
an apt configuration problem...)

I propose that you do the following:

1) Run "apt-get update" as root. Does this work? If you get any error
   messages post them here.

2) Try "apt-get install -f" next. Post the entire output of this command.

3) Likewise, we need to know the result of "apt-cache policy hotplug
   udev". (You can run this command as a normal user.)

4) Finally, we need to know what you have in /etc/apt/sources.list. If
   you have the files /etc/apt/apt.conf and/or /etc/apt/preferences post
   their contents as well.

--
Regards,
          Florian