gnome & cups through ssh tunnel

Hi all,

I wish to be able to print to printers on a remote cups server from
gnome applications.

I figured I could just create an ssh tunnel like this:

$ ssh -L 1631:localhost:631 me@remote.host

then set the cups server to localhost:1631 in /etc/cups/client.conf

But no printers appear in the gnome printer admin app.

It does work work if I create the tunnel as root and bind to the
privileged port 631.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

cheers

dc

--
David Purton
dcpurton@chariot.net.au

For the eyes of the LORD range throughout the earth to
strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him.
                                 2 Chronicles 16:9a