Re: Shutdown my Laptop? Why should I?

On Friday 14 July 2006 03:47, Ritesh Raj Sarraf wrote this for perusal by us
all:
>--> Sean Perry on Thursday 13 Jul 2006 01:37 wrote:
>-->
>--> > That said, most laptop batteries degrade performance significantly if
>--> > left plugged into the mains 24/7. So only plug in for refills.
>-->
>--> That's scary.
>-->
>--> I've been using my laptop 24/7 plugged into the mains.
>-->
>--> Can you refer me to some documentation which details about it ?
>-->
>--> Thanks,
>--> Ritesh
>--> --
>--> Ritesh Raj Sarraf

My first laptop, some obscure name I no longer recall, back in the middle 90's
had a battery that lasted for over 5 years, till it finally was only good for
a few minutes.

It was running a windows system. It was run off generator electricity because
we had no other, and a desktop would be broken by that rough electrical
power.

When running on battery and the warning came up to save and switch to
electrical power, I didn't do so. I just saved and shut down all programs
except the card game and played that till the battery gave up and the laptop
went down. This was to ensure that the battery didn't get a memory of any
kind. Every time I turned on the computer it had to check disks etc.. But it
didn't hurt the machine or the operating system.

My current Acer 1350 lappy I run the same way. But have only had it for 2
years. There is no noticeable battery power loss as yet? [touch wood] But
unlike the firt laptop, I don't run it on generator till the battery is
charged, then on battery till its depleted, then on generator again. But I do
use it as a desktop, but without the battery much of the time, because we
have solar power now, when there is sufficient sunlight.

HTH
Charlie

--
Registered Linux User:- 329524