Re: source code editor

Le 01-06-2006, Ivan Glushkov <glushkov@mail.desy.de> a écrit :
> I would like to know which is the best & lightest editor for source code
> editing, which supports syntax highlighting. Currently when I want to
> edit fast some C/C++ file I am opening it with pico. I looked around,
> but it seems like it does not support syntax highlighting.

Step 1. Print out the Emacs reference card and the Vim reference card.
You can find them via Google. Or, buy "Unix in a Nutshell" published by
O'Reilly which has the same information as the refcards plus more.

Step 2. apt-get install emacs21 vim-full

Step 3. Try them both for a few hours. See which you prefer.

(It's good to know the basics of both anyway: many Linux programs use
the Emacs keymap and some, like NetHack, use the Vim keymap.)

Step 4. If you need help, ask in comp.editors on Usenet or #vim or
#emacs on irc.freenode.net.

Tip: For syntax highlighting in Vim, do:

:syntax on

In Emacs, press Alt+x then type global-font-lock-mode. Press Enter.

Tip 2: For the Vim tutorial, open up a terminal and run vimtutor. For
the Emacs tutorial, type Control+h then press t.

Tip 3: If you want an editor for X Window, consider evim (which is
included with vim) or, better yet, cream instead; they are customized
versions of vim which lack a command mode. These work similarly to
Windows Notepad.  But if you want the full power of vim, I recommend you
use regular vim.

I'd be curious to hear what you end up choosing.
Happy hacking,
Jason Spiro
jasonspiro4@gmail.com

--