Problem with screen resolution being to high after install...

I just finished installing Debian Etch on my (sortof) new computer. (I
got a new computer for my wife and got to upgrade my debian box to her
old computer.) :]

Everything in the install went fine. However when I reboot and try to
log into my system for the first time I get an error message on my
monitor telling me that the screen resolution is too high.

Has anyone heard of this?

I tried using the Ctrl-Alt-Backspace combo to get to the command line
so I could try to fix the problem, but Debian just attempts to restart
GDM and I get the same message.

So I have two questions really.

[1] How do I fix the screen resolution problem on my monitor so that I
can run GDM and Gnome?

[2] What key combination can I use to bring up the command line?

Thanks for the help,

Scott Huey