Re: Shutdown my Laptop? Why should I?

* Carl Fink <carl@finknetwork.com> [2006 Jul 12 16:11 -0500]:
> On Wed, Jul 12, 2006 at 01:07:48PM -0700, Sean Perry wrote:
>
> > That said, most laptop batteries degrade performance significantly if
> > left plugged into the mains 24/7. So only plug in for refills.
>
> Really?  Most batteries lose life if repeatedly discharged and recharged.

That was a real problem with NiCad batteries.  Li-Ion don't suffer
nearly as much.  Some packs do include logic that tracks charge cycles
and essentially shuts the battery off once a certain limit is reached
whether the battery is physically good or not.

I think this just happened to the battery in my T23.  Up to several
days ago it would maintain suspend for about 18 hours.  Within the past
24 hours it "died".

- Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of