Re: Sarge and Athlon 64

Dave Ewart wrote:
On Tuesday, 11.07.2006 at 21:44 -0500, Damon L. Chesser wrote:

I am interested in obtaining a new motherboard and CPU. The current CPU is a Pentium III and runs Debian
Sarge (kernel 2.4.27-3-686). I am thinking of getting
an Athlon 64 as the new CPU.
Does anyone please know what updates would be needed
to the current kernel in order to use the Athlon 64 ?
I would obviously like to still use all my current 32
bit software and data.
The simplest option is to just install a 2.6.x-series amd64 kernel and
keep your 32-bit system.  Unless you "need" the extra facilities which
64-bit systems give you, you will find the whole setup much simpler just
doing this.  No faffing about with chroots either :-)
by "just install a 2.6.x-series amd64 kernel" do you mean that if you boot a 64bit kernel, you can run a 32bit system?

Yes.  Specifically, you install (or retain) a full 32-bit system, but
install a new kernel, which happens to be amd64.

The "amd64 kernel with 32-bit userspace" approach is not uncommon.

I have not googled this, but if I roll my own kernel, what options make it "amd64"?