Re: Battery monitor and sound adjust short cut

On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 22:10:45 +0800, Rocky Ou wrote:
> Hey List,
>
> I'm using Debian Sid on my Dell Inspiron 2200 laptop. I want to enable the
> power monitor function for my computer. But when I go to Control
> Center-->Power Control -->Laptop Battery of KDE I got the following message.
>
> ###########
> Your computer seems to have a partial ACPI installation. ACPI was probably
> enabled, but some of the sub-options were not - you need to enable at least
> 'AC Adaptor' and 'Control Method Battery' and then rebuild your kernel.
> ###########
>
> Below is my kernel infomation
>
> #####
> lover@YUNNAN:~$ uname -a
> Linux YUNNAN 2.6.16-2-686 #1 Wed Jun 21 17:35:13 UTC 2006 i686 GNU/Linux
> #####
>
> Can any of you tell me how can I enable AC Adaptor and Control Method
> Battery please?

As far as I remember, the ACPI stuff is compiled as modules in the stock
Debian kernels. (I have been using self-compiled kernels for a long
time, therefore I am not sure.) You can start by checking if the
following modules are loaded: ac, battery, power. If they are not loaded
try to modprobe them. If that works without errors you can try to change
the setting in the KDE control center again. ACPI support can still be a
problem, AFAIK it is broken in some BIOSes and I don't know how easy it
is to set it up on Dell laptops.

If things go wrong you can try to compile your own kernel with all ACPI
options enabled and included. "kernel-package" provides a nice way to do
this; you can start with the Debian configuration and then add or remove
things.

> Secondly, under Window XP I can use Fn+Pg Up / Dn key combination to adjust
> the volumn. But I do not know how to do in under Debian. Can anyone give
> some direction please?

If that key combination is supported in the Linux ACPI routines it will
generate an ACPI event which you can use to trigger a short script to
change the volume by calling alsamixer. This is done by the acpi daemon.
You can install the "acpid" package and run "acpi_listen". Press the key
combination and check if an event/keycode is displayed. "man acpid" has
details on how to proceed from there and you can also have a look at the
event and action files which are already present in /etc/acpid.

--
Regards,
          Florian