Alternatives to Mondo Rescue

Whilst attempting backup to DVDs, I have experienced freezes (although
the time remaining clock continues to tick upwards...) at the same point
in two separate mondoarchive runs.  There was no indication of any
failure in the logfile and I forgot to run strace before killing
mondoarchive, so I basically have no idea what is going wrong.  Has
anyone experienced anything like this before?  I know HD or tape would
probably be a better option, but I would really like to do a multi-dvd
backup of my entire system.