Re: Mapping between *.wav files and cdrecord -audio tracks?

On 2006-07-11, Alec Berryman <alec@thened.net> wrote:

>> How good is the inverse function (ripping the CD tracks back to WAV)?
>
> If your disks scratch, then you may lose information; also take into
> consideration the expected life of your media.

I think backup copies are the solution then.

>> Is there any loss of information in burning the files to CD?
>
> I don't believe so.

In that case I don't think there's much benefit to keeping the WAVE
files on the hard drive.

> If you want to keep the wav files around, you'll almost certainly want
> to compress them; if you want to keep them accessible for playing, I
> suggest flac, but if not you may want to consider rzip instead of gzip
> or bzip2.

I'd never heard of rzip until you mentioned it, but (using the default
compression for all three commands) there isn't a lot of difference in
the file size.

  25579480  acid-boys-t1.wav
  24329347  acid-boys-t1.wav.gz
  23326313  acid-boys-t1.wav.rz