Re: Mapping between *.wav files and cdrecord -audio tracks?

Adam Funk wrote:

I made digital copies of an old record by connecting my hi-fi line
output to my sound input and using Audacity to record the tracks (and
edit them slightly) and save them as "RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE
audio, Microsoft PCM, 16 bit, stereo 44100 Hz" files,

Have you tried gramofile?

http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl?keywords=gramofile&searchon=names&subword=1&version=unstable&release=all

which I then
burnt to a CD with `cdrecord -audio ...`.

How good is the inverse function (ripping the CD tracks back to WAV)?

Is there any loss of information in burning the files to CD?

Is there any reason to keep the WAV files themselves backed up?

Thanks,
Adam