Re: Can't mount cdrom after cdrecord installation

Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> I've just installed cdrecord in my Debian Sarge r2,
> and then changed in menu.lst the line:
>
> kernel		/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.27-2-686 root=/dev/hda6 ro
>
> into:
>
>  kernel		/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.27-2-686 root=/dev/hda6 ro hdb=ide-scsi ro hdc=ide-scsi ro hdd=ide-scsi
>
> , but then when I try to mount a cdrom, as usual, with `mount /cdrom',
> I get the following:
>
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdc,
>        missing codepage or other error
>        (could this be the IDE device where you in fact use
>        ide-scsi so that sr0 or sda or so is needed?)
>        In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
>        dmesg | tail  or so
>
> . I'm quite lost here, could anyone suggest what to do?
>
> Thanks,
> Rodolfo

Since you're using Linux 2.4.x, you'll want the CD-ROM
on ide-scsi, so it should appear as /dev/sr0 (or
perhaps /dev/sr1).

I'm using 2.4.27 also, and this is my setup:

%%%%%%FILESYSTEM:
/cdrom -> /media/cdrom
/media/cdrom/ -> /media/cdrom0

%%%%%%%/etc/fstab:
/dev/sr0  /media/cdrom0 iso9660 ro,user,noauto 0 0

I remember that originally, /dev/hdc was the cdrom
drive, and I had to manually change it to /dev/sr0 for
cd-writing to work.

Perhaps when you installed cdrecord, some script
decided to automagically fix your fstab, but messed it
up instead, so check that out.