Stallion ONboard multiport serial card with Sarge?

Hi,

I've been trying to figure this out for several weeks with no luck.  I
changed over from Redhat with 2.2 kernel to Sarge.  Great!  But my
hardware includes a Stallion ONboard ISA card.  This worked fine
before, but now I get:
devfs_register(cue): could not append to parent, err: -17

...when I try to load the istallion.o module.

If I've done my homework well the difference seems to be that the new
istallion.o uses devfs, while the old one used /dev/cuaE* & ttyS*
files.  I don't have devfs installed on my system, and it seems too
complicated to install just to get this one driver to work.

I'd much rather get a istallion.o or .c that works with 2.4 without
devfs.  I tried to compile the old istallion.c with the kernel-source
for Sarge, but no surprise that didn't work.  Not a coder so hacking
the istallion.c and .h that comes with the kernel-source is way over my
head.

I've been searching like crazy, is there someplace I can look in hopes
of finding the istallion driver for 2.4 that just uses the old /dev
devices???  The company that bought Stallion doesn't support it
anymore, but somebody out there has been updating the driver for newer
kernels -- I just can't find them.

Regards,
DJ