Re: Testing and honesty

On Sat, Jul 08, 2006 at 07:11:09PM -0400, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> Carl Fink wrote:
> >
> > The thing is, the Debian Project is set up to guarantee that Stable will
> > never actually be usable.  If you want anything resembling current software,
> > you MUST use Unstable or Testing.  That makes Testing the de facto "standard
> > workstation distribution" for Debian.
> >
> > I run Stable on the servers I administer, but 100% of them have to use some
> > hand-compiled or backported software, or they'd be unusable.
>
> Really?  I administer a number of servers and workstations.  Currently,
> these are my backport needs:

Um, you just agreed with me.

[snip details]

> Now, out of umpteen bazillion packages in the archive, that is not bad.
>  In fact, the only which I consider an absolute must have are OO.org2
> and bind9 9.3.  The others I could live without.  I am interested what
> software you absolutely must have which is not in Sarge or is not new
> enough in Sarge.

On my workstation?  I agree about OOo 2.  Also Firefox 1.5, current jpilot,
current slrn, current mutt ....

Note that the original poster wants to use software that isn't even IN
stable.
--
Carl Fink                                   carl@finknetwork.com
   "Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your