Re: Testing and honesty

Let me start by saying that I basically agree with Ben.

On Sat, Jul 08, 2006 at 03:12:04PM -0300, Ben Armstrong wrote:

> In particular, no guarantees are made that the entire distribution
> will be 100% release-critical bug-free.  All we can assure you is that
> packages have undergone "some degree of testing" and have fewer
> release-critical bugs than the versions currently in testing.  The way
                                                       ~~~~~~~

Unstable.

> Now, I understand your frustration and disappointment, but I think
> before using testing, you should have made it your business to read
> and make sure you understood what we have publicly posted about its
> readiness for use.  Your rant indicates to me that you haven't, or if
> you have, you have seriously misunderstood what you read.

The thing is, the Debian Project is set up to guarantee that Stable will
never actually be usable.  If you want anything resembling current software,
you MUST use Unstable or Testing.  That makes Testing the de facto "standard
workstation distribution" for Debian.

I run Stable on the servers I administer, but 100% of them have to use some
hand-compiled or backported software, or they'd be unusable.
--
Carl Fink                                   carl@finknetwork.com
   "Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your