Re: Broken applications: Could we be honest?

On Saturday 08 July 2006 12:09, Art Edwards wrote:
> I have been writing to the list about two applications that
> are so broken on the AMD64 distribution that they render the
> box pretty useless. I'm sure one could say that two measly
> applications are no big deal. However, if you do scientific computation
> for a living, and two of the primary tools are broken, you now have
> a rather clumsy paperweight where a computer should be. You could
> argue that we should simply learn new tools, and we could, but we
> should really be doing science instead.

Could you please be a bit more specific? Which two applications are you
talking about?

As a side note, there is no stable release of debian for amd64 architecture.
Your criticism would be justified if you see the above mentioned problems in
a stable release of Debian. Please see http://www.debian.org/ports/ for a
list of architectures supported by Debian. If you are using testing/unstable
distributions, the applications are bound to break sooner or later.

thanks
raju

--
http://kamaraju.googlepages.com/cornell-bazaar