Re: What is "semantic"?

Haines Brown wrote:

> When was Semantic introduced, and what is its purpose? Is it
> associated with ext3 as well as ReiserFS? With the newer kernels?

This "semantic"?

-----
aptitude show semantic

[...]

 The Semantic Bovinator's goal is to provide an intermediate API for
 authors of language agnostic tools who want to deal with languages in
 a generic way.  It also provides a simple way for Mode Authors, who
 are experts in their language, to provide a parser for those tool
 authors, without knowing anything about those tools.

[...]

 Semantic is now a part of CEDET (Collection of Emacs Development
 Environment Tools).
-----

I am not an Emacs user, so I do not know if this is really it. You could
use "aptitude" tool to find out if some package you use depends on
"semantic".