Re: new Package of the Day features

On Tue, Jul 04, 2006 at 01:22:57PM -0700, Aaron Maxwell wrote:
> On Monday 03 July 2006 01:46 pm, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 03, 2006 at 09:35:58AM -0700, Aaron Maxwell wrote:
> > > ... aaand now there's an RSS feed.
> > cool, now how about making the package title a link to
> > packages.debian.org? then we can peruse more details easily...
>
> I've thought about it... linking it like that doesn't quite feel right,
> because for most users the information on p.d.o doesn't ADD much in
> terms of discovering new and interesting software (which is the whole
> point - it should answer, "How can this package benefit me / enhance my
> life?").  (Though one might argue that it would be interesting to know
> the suggests, depends, packages with similar tags, etc.)  An ideal
> would be if the package title linked to an informative homepage.  If I
> can come up with some way to automate that...  Obviously my vision is
> to make it simple (think google.com, not yahoo.com).  It might be good
> to put the p.d.o link somewhere else, like along the bottom.
Hi Aaron,
one of the issues I have with the short and long descriptions and the
suggest,depends is this:
they are meant to be useful to the audience that already knows all the
jargon  and lingo used in that particular field and doesnt allow someone
else the change to discover these programs. I may want to take the time
to learn about a field I've never read about in order to learn how to
use a partiular program but the description is not written to explain
what it does to non-experts. I've thought about making an alternate
index to explain all the lingo used in the package discriptions. Also,
the 'suggests' only show a package name. This to me is not that useful.
I'd like to know the specific reason why I should install this extra
package. I'd like to know in what way it will add functionality or
features to the main program. The package name used in the suggests
field does not enlighten me enough.
Cheers,
Kev