Re: Xwindows and Emacs

Paul E Condon <pecondon@mesanetworks.net>:
>  On Tue, Jul 04, 2006 at 01:47:04PM +0000, s. keeling wrote:
> > Paul E Condon <pecondon@mesanetworks.net>:
> > >
> > >  emacs*font: fixed
> >
> > See if you have an app called xfontsel.  It's a GUI point and click
> > interface to fonts.  Note the "spc" column.  For terminal fonts, "c"
> > and "m" apply.  "p" is for proportional fonts, and don't work well in
> >
> > "fixed" is defined by the X Window system as the fallback default
> > non-proportional (aka. fixed) spacing font, but there's many others to
>
>  My adventure began when I noticed that "fixed" provided a different
>  font under xorg from the one I have been getting under xfree. From

Well, first understand that we've pretty much plumbed the depths of my
knowledge of font lower levels.  However, here's a couple that I have
left.  You can get the same sort of strange behaviour by rearranging
the order of the FontPath lines in your X config file.  I have:

        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/CID"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi"

What does the "/:unscaled" mean?  What happens when you put the 75dpi
lines before the 100dpi lines?

What happens when you go from the above defining fonts for X, to
something like xfs (X Font Server) defining fonts for X?

I thought a font was a simple matrix bitmap defining pixels to turn on
or off or shade or colorize.  Smiple.  No, beyond that little matrix
is a vast array of fantastically specialized machinery that does
magical things with that little matrix.  BTW:

Emacs*font: -b&h-lucidatypewriter-medium-r-normal-sans-10-100-75-75-m-60-iso8859-1

Pretty.  :-)

    (*)    http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling           Linux Counter #80292
    - -    http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html
           Spammers! http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling/emails.html