Re: Xwindows and Emacs

Paul E Condon <pecondon@mesanetworks.net>:
>  Long ago, I was a RedHat user. When I moved to Debian, I kept a copy
>  of a file, .Xresources, that made Emacs display under X in a way that
>  I liked.  Now in trying to use Etch, I discover that the file doesn't
>  work quite the way I want under xserver-xorg. I want to tweek it, but
>  can't find docs that address my questions in a way that I recognize. I
>  think my main issue is with the line:
>
>  emacs*font: fixed

See if you have an app called xfontsel.  It's a GUI point and click
interface to fonts.  Note the "spc" column.  For terminal fonts, "c"
and "m" apply.  "p" is for proportional fonts, and don't work well in
terminal based apps.

"fixed" is defined by the X Window system as the fallback default
non-proportional (aka. fixed) spacing font, but there's many others to
choose from.  Fiddling with xfontsel for a bit will teach you a lot
about this.

When you find a font you want to try, you can either define it in
~/.Xresources then run "xrdb -merge .Xresources" or just run emacs
supplying the font's name on the command line (-fn|-font).

    (*)    http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling           Linux Counter #80292
    - -    http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html
           Spammers! http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling/emails.html