Re: rhythmbox

Hans van Middendorp on 02/07/06 21:28, wrote:
On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 15:48:20 +0100
Adam Hardy <adam.ant@cyberspaceroad.com> wrote:

Thomas Jollans on 02/07/06 15:05, wrote:
Adam Hardy wrote:
Just did a general upgrade in etch and accepted all bugs and have
problems now with rhythmbox, which won't play any MP3s now. it'll
play OGG files, but not MP3s.
Trying to fix it, I came across some directions for testing files
with gstreamer, and I realise that rhythmbox considers itself a
Gnome app, but I'm using KDE. I don't have gstreamer installer, it
looks like a heavy-weight Gnome component, maybe even a daemon but
I'm not sure. So to test, I should install gstreamer, but I'm not
convinced I need gstreamer at all in KDE. But perhaps rhythmbox
has changed now to work only under Gnome.

Anyone know what the situation is?
GStreamer is a library that is used heavily in Gnome, but does not
use a daemon by default. (unlike arts...) It does not hurt to
install gstreamer and gstreamer should not depend on anything
rhythmbox didn't depend on anyway... (like glib etc)
Sorry Thomas, meant to send that to the list.
I installed gstreamer but I don't have the command 'basicgthread'
which it seems I need to run from the cmd line to test play my mp3s.

I tried running rhythmbox under gnome and but that made no difference.

So what is gstreamer or more to the point, how do I get rhythmbox to
use it, if even that is what the MP3 problem is all about?

I am not sure if Rhythmbox is using gstreamer0.8 or already 0.10.
If 0.8 it will play mp3 with gstreamer-mad. After installing that run
gst-register-0.8 in console as normal user.

If 0.10 i thimk you need gstreamer-0.10-fluendo-mp3. The gst command is
not necassary voor v0.10.

I no go, give quod-libet a try.

quod-libet didn't work either:
"Gstreamer encountered a general stream error."

There is obviously something wrong with the config because gst-launch works OK.