hosed my debian VM trying to update postgresql

I got quite frustrated trying to update postgresql from 7.4 to 8.1 on
the debian VM I use on my laptop.

I did "apt-get install postgresql 8.1" (which had worked fine on
another machine) - the install worked fine, but I could never connect
to the 8.1 server, even after doing "apt-get remove postgresql-7.4"
and rebooting.

As I'm not too worried if I screw this m/c up, I decided to try to
force the damn thing to FORGET about 7.4, so I:

- removed 7.4
- removed 8.1
- went across the m/c removing every related file and directory I
could find. (find . -name *postgre*, inspect results, then wipe 'em
... yes, brutal I know ...)

I figured that + a reboot should get me a clean 8.1 install.

No such, luck, I simply screwed apt up to the point where it has abandoned me.

I'm not too bothered, I knew the risk, and I guess I can fall back on
manual install ... but ...

1. why doesn't apt-get remove really remove old installations? what
does "packages will be removed" in the man page mean if not ... well,
remove them?
2. if apt-get remove doesn't do what I want, what does?
3. is there anyway for me to get apt back into a consistent state?
4. what SHOULD I have done? and where should I have read to find that out?

cheers

Daniel