Re: rsync weirdness

Your command is correct for what you want.  I
think you are running into issues with differences between the
filesystems meta data. The -a options tells it to sync. up uid, gid,
permissions, etc. So  it is probably changing the uid and gid for all
your files as it goes along. Causes a slight delay, but rsync is smart
enough to not copy the complete file if the content hasn't changed.

I have a Mac which I rsync files back and forth with a debian server.  I
ended up adding the extra users and groups I needed to my mac (using
NetInfo Manager)--making sure to use the uid's and gid's from the debian
server. Many *nix systems start uid's at 500, but Debian starts them at
1000. I even changed the uid of my mac account to match the uid on my
debian account. If you do this make sure you then update all your files
on your Mac with your new uid.

--JJ