New user can't write in /var/log

Hi,

I have a new user that must be able to write in /var/log/
An application makes a file overthere and deletes in automatically.
I can make it with root and change it with chmod but when it is deleted, it cannot be created again.
Maybe stupid question, but how can i give a regular user full permission in /var/log/  ?
I tried to add the user to the root group in /etc/group  but nothing new happens when i do that, is that directly applied after you edit that file ?

thnx
Phil.