Re: Is it possible to install ftp servers w/o 421 Service not available errors?

At 1151878384 past the epoch, Dirk wrote:
> I've tried proftpd, vsftpd and another one I don't
> remember on different machines (all with debian) and
> randomly they bitch around giving me 421!

How randomly? It would be helpful to know at which stage
they offer the 421. According to RFC 959, it is a valid
response for just about all the phases.

Does it occur with PASV set? My guess is that it's a
firewall/ports issue. conntrack_ftp perhaps.

> Is it possible to run a ftp server with debian? Or will I
> finally have to switch to FreeBSD like so many did since
> they've started putting unstable stuff into 2.6.x.y
> instead of 2.7.x.

I imagine you'll get an FTPd misconfigured just as easily
with FreeBSD as with Linux.

> Sorry for being an ass but I'm lightly pissed about Linux
> turning into a bitch lately.

No problem: letting off steam is therapeutic.

Oh, I almost forgot the obligatory "use SFTP via SSH, FTP is
a dog of a protocol and sends passwords in the clear".

--
Jon Dowland
http://alcopop.org/