Re: Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!

At 1151942614 past the epoch, Arvind Marathe wrote:
> said the 'libc.so.6' does not exist. So i transferred the file from a
                 ^^
> chroot: error while loading shared libraries: /lib/libc.s0.6: file too short
                                                          ^^
I'm guessing you've hand copied these down. Just to clarify, was it
/lib/libc.so.6 in both cases?

> I have some data on the hard disks which is not backed up
> so is there an easy way out other than reinstalling
> debian?

Using a livecd would let you get at your data. Knoppix and
Ubuntu are two popular debian-based ones.

> Now i was planning to copy /lib/libc.so.6 on DVD to the
> /lib directory in root filesystem. So i did:

I'm not sure you will be able to find the correct libc.so.6
on the installation DVD in an unpacked format. I was under
the impression that most of the tools used a different libc
to conserve space. However I do spot
'libc6-udeb_2.3.2.ds1-20_i386.udeb' on the DVD, so that
might be unpacked at some point.

If you can get ahold of the libc .deb file (it's
./pool/main/g/glibc/libc6_2.3.2.ds1-22_i386.deb but I think
there are newer ones at security.debian.org); you could
unpack it into a temporary area when running a live CD and
copy the .so file across to your hard disk. I'd then suggest
apt-get update/upgrading and maybe reinstalling the .deb
proper once the machine boots properly.

--
Jon Dowland
http://alcopop.org/