Re: Midi files S.O.S.

On Sun, 2006-07-02 at 23:11 +0200, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> Hi, listers.
>
> I'm looking for a program that allows to modify
> midi files, i.e. adjust tone and speed and cancel
> traces: they're called midi sequencers, aren't they?
> Well, I've been trying:
>
> brahms
> timidity
> rosegarden
> amarok
> audacity
> muse
>
> , but none of them will help:
> timidity seems to work, but it's not a sequencer:
> it plays midi files fine but cannot modify them (is that true?);
> the others don't even play midi files.
>
> Anyone out there who can provide a hint?
> What program to use, and how to make it work?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Rodolfo

Rosegarden and noteedit can both import and export midi files.  If the
midi files were created by a performance as opposed to someone actually
entering the notes in a program you probably have a lot of cleanup to
do.  Some midi files also don't separate the instruments into separate
tracks -- these are a real pain to edit.

Good luck,
Roy