Re: Did Libranet ever make available the source code for their Admin utility and their other add-ons?

On Jul 2, 2006, at 3:53 AM, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:

On Sun, Jul 02, 2006 at 12:46:46AM -0600, Nate Duehr wrote:

On Jul 1, 2006, at 1:34 PM, Ron Johnson wrote:

Robert Glueck wrote:
Libranet took Debian, added their famed Admin utility, an
installer and a bunch of other perks to it and then
marketed it for pay.
[snip]

                 Were they required to do so
by the GPL?

adminmenu was closed source.  He (the former owner of Libranet LLC)
has every right to keep that bit of code closed if he wants.

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

And every right to open it too.  Same argument.

Of course, the wisdom here lies in not worrying about it either way.

Libranet was, essentially, a family firm: a father and son. Father died:
son took some time trying to work through what to do with the
product and has recently announced the end of Libranet. As far as I can
see, some mailing lists will remain open but the Libranet community
has no support.

And unfortunately I didn't know that when I typed up the euphemism I used. Made it seem horribly out of place. Apologies and condolences are in order.

My comment was meant more as a reminder that chasing after closed- source projects that have gone defunct or disappear looking for open- source code is sometimes useful, but analyzing it and saying "they could open it!" or "they should keep it closed" is almost always a giant waste of time.

If you could find Mr. Danzig, you might be able to offer something
for the closed source - but its possible he doesn't want to think
about it any more.

If one is the person who has the "right" access to either a family or business and can ask, you'll know. Postulation about how it can get done on a list as big as Debian-User is usually pretty fruitless. In this case, respect for the family and their loss is paramount over the code-base, for sure.

Adminmenu is a loss to Libranet users - but its functionality
could be subsumed by other tools. Most importantly, the Debian community
probably wants to offer a friendly welcome for Libranet users who have
been using a successful Debian-derived distribution for years.

Absolutely.  Everyone's welcome to use or contribute to Debian.

Thanks for letting me know about the family loss Andy, my heart goes out to anyone who's had a loss of a family member they were working closely with.

--
Nate Duehr
nate@natetech.com