Re: Did Libranet ever make available the source code for their Admin utility and their other add-ons?

On Sun, Jul 02, 2006 at 12:46:46AM -0600, Nate Duehr wrote:

> On Jul 1, 2006, at 1:34 PM, Ron Johnson wrote:

> >Robert Glueck wrote:
> >>Libranet took Debian, added their famed Admin utility, an
> >>installer and a bunch of other perks to it and then
> >>marketed it for pay.
> >[snip]
> >
> >>                  Were they required to do so
> >>by the GPL?
> >
> >adminmenu was closed source.  He (the former owner of Libranet LLC)
> >has every right to keep that bit of code closed if he wants.
> >
> >- --
> >Ron Johnson, Jr.
> >Jefferson LA  USA
>
> And every right to open it too.  Same argument.
>
> Of course, the wisdom here lies in not worrying about it either way.

Libranet was, essentially, a family firm: a father and son. Father died:
son took some time trying to work through what to do with the
product and has recently announced the end of Libranet. As far as I can
see, some mailing lists will remain open but the Libranet community
has no support.

If you could find Mr. Danzig, you might be able to offer something
for the closed source - but its possible he doesn't want to think
about it any more.

Adminmenu is a loss to Libranet users - but its functionality
could be subsumed by other tools. Most importantly, the Debian community
probably wants to offer a friendly welcome for Libranet users who have
been using a successful Debian-derived distribution for years.

Andy