Re: fstab problem

Ron Johnson wrote:
> John Miller wrote:

> >> Are you sure that these are the correct partitions for the disk?  It
> >> seems a bit odd that you don't have /dev/hda1 or /dev/hda2 being used
> >> for something.  Did the live cd detect the above?
>
> hda1 & hda2 might be used by Windows.

Sure might be.  Deephay said that he copied his /etc/fstab file from
another machine, though.  Given that his initial question is about
/etc/fstab, it makes sense to double-check it.
> >> The system booted to runlevel 2 without a root filesystem?  How?
> >> Anyway, runlevel 2 is the Debian default, so _only_ booting to runlevel
> >> 2 isn't a bad thing unless you've specified otherwise....
>
> It's my impression that he booted using the LiveCD.

Mine too--my take was that he copied over /etc/fstab while the system
was still running; tried to boot, but couldn't; booted using the
LiveCD's root partition; mounted the hard disk; fixed /etc/fstab; then
tried to boot without the LiveCD.

It would certainly have been possible to boot from the LiveCD, but using
the hard disk's root partition.  Was that your take on the matter?

--John