Re: font or face problem in emacs

H.S. wrote:

I get the following in my emacs compiler message window (notice the strange characters around the variables and function names):
g++ -Wall -ansi -o testprog testprog.cc
testprog.cc: In function ‘int main()’:
testprog.cc:6: warning: unused variable ‘i’
testprog.cc:6: warning: unused variable ‘j’

Compilation finished at Thu Jun 29 15:01:30

The strange characters around a variable are(I have typed the backslashes and numbers so that they are displayed properly here):
on left hand side: â\200\230
on right hand side: â\200\231

This seems to have worked:
M-x prefer-coding-system RET utf-8 RET
which is from:

So, do I need to use the above command everything or is there a problem with the way emacs treats various locales? I have:
$> set | grep -i lang