Problem reconginzing package...

I'm having some trouble installing a package. I think I might be
totally missing something here, but I can't figure it out. I thought
I'd ask for some help.

I'm trying to get Subclipse to work in Eclipse with a local
repository. To do this I need to have the latest version of the
libsvn-javahl Debian package installed. The Subclipse team is no
longer preparing this package, but someone else has put together an
alternate package that does the trick.

The original deb is named "libsvn-javahl_1.2.3dfsg1-3_i386.deb", and
it is currently installed.

The alternate package is named
"libsvn-javahl_1.2.0-1.ggtools.1_i386.deb". I placed this deb on my
local hard drive, and then ran dpkg-scanpackages.

However, the alternate package is not showing up in Synaptic. When I
try to use apt to install it tells me the version of libsvn-javahl is
already current.

I think the problem may be with the similarity in the package names.
Is this correct? Do I need to uninstall the original package before I
can install the alternate?

Thanks,

The Sunburned Surveyor