Re: Slow Konsole GUI

On Tue, Jun 27, 2006 at 20:06:43 +0100, David wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm running Etch AMD64 with KDE.
>
> Recently my Konsole has started to run very slowly when anything to do
> with the GUI is concerned eg. when openning a new konsole (about 15
> seconds), openning a new shell within konsole (about ten seconds),
> changing between shells within konsole (3 seconds), resizing (about
> six seconds) and moving (about three seconds).
>
> All other applications are running fine and the problems with Konsole
> are very recent. I suspect the problem arises from a system update I
> made last week when I ran update for the the first time in many months
> (Konsole was fine prior to that). The update was pretty big and I had
> some trouble configuring the updated xorg.  I suspect onsoles problems
> come from a sub optimal configuration file somewhere but I don't know
> how to go about diagnosing this.
>
> A google search has not shone any light on how I might try to
> reconfigure Konsole so that it can recover it's former speed.
>
> Any suggestions on how to proceed would be warmly welcomed.

You could try to run

grep ^konsole ~/.xsession-errors

to see if there are any konsole-related error messages.

If you suspect that the problem has something to do with the state of
your xorg, you can check the xorg log for warnings and errors:

egrep '^\((EE|WW)\)' /var/log/Xorg.0.log

--
Regards,
          Florian