Re: cannot install aptitude: Broken packages

On Wed, Jun 28, 2006 at 02:11:51AM -0400, Bill Jones wrote:
> On 6/27/06, Chase James <cjames@bgadd.org> wrote:
> >Hello. I'm trying to upgrade a debian woody box to sarge according to the
> >release notes. When attempting to install aptitude, I get the following
> >error:
> >
> ># apt-get install aptitude
>
> Wierdness...  Try
> apt-get upgrade aptitude

that will just upgrade the whole system (and, incidently, should throw
away the 'aptitude' at the end).  I think that's not the intended
effect...

> aptitude provides apt-get -- so you can't "install" it as it's already
> there...

No it doesn't.  apt provides apt-get--aptitude is a frontend, doesn't
provide any essential components to the basic functioning.  Also, you
can 'install' packages that are already there--it upgrades them, and any
dependencies needed.  aptitude can be safely removed from your system,
if you desire--all that'll break is tasksel (which will be automagically
removed anyway).

--
Christopher Nelson -- chris@cavein.org
The only possible interpretation of any research whatever in the `social