Re: xdm source .bash_profile

On 24.06.06 00:00, Pavlos Parissis wrote:
> I have been trying to make my X to source the .bash_profile in order to
> set my $PATH variable.
>
> Looking around Debian reference document and googling about it, the trick
> was to add in my ~/.bashrc the $PATH and export it.
>
> Since ~/.bashrc is invoked by no login shell I don't really mind to use
> this trick. But, I do mind that fact that I have duplicate information,
> $PATH is set in two files.
>
> Thus, I was trying to fine a way to overcome this and use only the
> ~/.bash_profile by creating a executable file with name ~/.xession and put
> in that file only . ~/.bash_profile. This didn't work and I tried to put
> #!/bin/bash --login at the beginning of the file but it didn't work
> either.
>
> Any idea where should I look to get this done?

Some time ago I solved this problem by sourcing /etc/profile and
$HOME/.profile from /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession (I was using xdm).

the $HOME/.profile is being sourced by bourne-compatible shells at user
login and should contain seting of environment variables like $PATH. It is
also common for dash, ksh and bash (unless their own specific rc files
exist, they may source it too) so I thought all common things like this
could be in ~/.profile.

I don't know if there is any official way how to set up enviroment variables
in common place. Some linux distributions use things like /etc/profile.env,
but that sucks too much (every fscking package sets up its own useless
variables and users don't have any power to tell which to use, which not).