Re: [testing] HELP - lost X

On Sun, Jun 25, 2006 at 10:25:08 -0700, David E. Fox wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 24, 2006 at 10:21:40PM -0700, David E. Fox wrote:
>
> previously:
>

> > But maybe I'll rerun aptitude dist-upgrade and see what happens, like
> > you said. It seems, though, that I'll still have to reconfigure or
> > reinstall x11-common and other X11R7-related packages.
>
> After waiting, I went ahead and did a dist-upgrade. It couldn't
> automatically complete - I am somehow stuck with a slightly older
> version of x11-common that can't be upgraded or configured. No matter
> what I try, it barfs out because the include symlink is not right.
> Perhaps I'll file a bug against package x11-common.
>
> dpkg reports a Failed 6.9.0.dfsg1-6 version of x11-common installed. I
> am not certain exactly how it got put there, as reportbug indicates
> there is a new version 7.0.22 available. But I can't seem to get it
> installed because of the same errors occur whether I try to install
> x11-common or install xorg - they occur at the same point.

I am on Sid with Xorg 7.0.

$ dpkg -l x11-common
ii  x11-common           7.0.22               X Window System (X.Org) infrastructure

/usr/include/X11 is a normal directory here:

$ file /usr/include/X11/
/usr/include/X11/: directory

$ ls -ld /usr/include/X11/
drwxr-xr-x 11 root root 4096 2006-05-23 10:41 /usr/include/X11/

I think you could try to create the directory with the same owner and
permissions and then repeat the upgrade. (I am not sure, but I guess
"symbolic link does not exist" could also mean that the script tries to
create a link _to_ this directory and fails because the target is not
there.)

If that fails it might be time for the "no more Mr. Nice Guy" approach:
You could try "dpkg -r --purge" to remove the old x11-common package,
using "--ignore-depends" and "--force-..." as necessary. It might also
be possible to download the new package with "aptitude download" and
then install it with "dpkg -i", again with "--force-..." if needed.

--
Regards,
          Florian