Re: [testing] HELP - lost X

On Sat, Jun 24, 2006 at 11:14:03PM -0500, Kent West wrote:

> I think I'd just let aptitude do what it wants, and then clean up afterward:
>
> aptitude update
> aptitude dist-upgrade
>
> and see what happens.

I might do that - in fact I went ahead and "did" it - but aborted at the
end, saved the session in a typescript so I can tell what it's planning
on doing. Seems to me though it is removing too many packages, and I
have the line "busy" handing a FC6 bittorrent -just to see what it's
like, dunno if I'll really go Fedora - kind of doubt it, but what the
hell.

But maybe I'll rerun aptitude dist-upgrade and see what happens, like
you said. It seems, though, that I'll still have to reconfigure or
reinstall x11-common and other X11R7-related packages.

AFAICT, dpkg --configure -a complains that it can't get to the X include
files -- that they're pointing to the right place. The X11R6 'bin'
directory was relatively clean - the only "non-X" package that I had in
there was opera. So, ATM, /usr/X11 points to ../X11R6/bin, but where
should the X11 includes go? Offhand, I'd think /usr/include/X11
->../X11R6/include/X11, and sure enough, a 'cd X11' from /usr/include
puts me in the directory where X includes are already; and oddly enough,
the file dates are recent (april 2006) so that's probably X11R7.

dfox@tsoft.com                            change magnetic patterns
dfox@m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com               on your hard disk.