Re: Replying to list

There is nothing wrong with telling people that their <insert broken
software package here> is [broken|not-standards-compliant|...] but the
reality is that we can only do that gently as a way to begin educating
others. Case in point: my sister uses hotmail and insists on
top-posting. I pointed out once how this didn't work so well,
demonstrated how to snip and intersperse responses and explained that
it was more "courteous" to do things the "right" way. So, now she
tries, and fails miserably, but she at least has an idea of it and
over time she'll likely come around. Meanwhile, I suffer through
silently knowing that someday she'll get it.

I feel your pain on the top/bottom-posting issue. I believe in doing things "the right way" but I find myself being completely alone in that regard when in a corporate setting. EVERYONE top posts when it comes to corporate emails (at least the ones I see) and when/if I attempt to bottom post it is so jarring that it causes more problems. So I end up top-posting when responding to colleagues (with my eye slightly twitching as I do it) and bottom-posting when responding to friends (and techie lists, I suppose).

And I work at a high-tech company!  Oh well...

Thanks,
Rick Reynolds
--
Win95 is not a virus; a virus does something.