Re: group ownership of /dev files

On Fri, Jun 23, 2006 at 10:16:26AM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Derek Martin <code@pizzashack.org> [2006.06.23.0454 +0200]:
> > My conclusion is that it seems from a security standpoint, and
> > from an ease-of-administration standpoint, pam_console is the
> > clear winner over both of the other proposed solutions.  So yes,
> > when I said pam_console was "nice", I meant it, and I stand by
> > that.  Have I missed something in my analysis?  If I have, I would
> > certainly like to learn what it is.
>
> Go ahead then and use it. But please do not make statements about
> Debian not meeting the requirements of seasoned Unix admins such as
> yourself.

Why should I not make such statements?  If Debian is not meeting the
needs of people who want to use it, why should the Debian community
not strive to meet those needs?  Is the Debian community not open to
change for the better?  Are its developers not open-minded enough to
consider that a solution they previously dismissed might not actually
better than the one(s) they've proposed?  I certainly hope that's not
the case.

> We, as in Debian, are going one path with our system, and
> while someone might well like to deviate, one thing you cannot say
> is that we don't reason with every step we take.

I never said you didn't... but can you provide a logical reason for
discluding support for pam_console?  Can you find any fault with my
analysis?  You may not personally like pam_console, but it appears to
be technically superior to all of the debian-supported solutions to
the problem of how to provide access to system resources to
workstation users -- a problem which lots of sysadmins must wrestle
with.  So what logical reason is there not to include it?  Does Debian
not strive to be the best distribution it can be, meeting the needs of
as many users as it can?  I'm not asking these questions rhetorically,
I'm quite serious.  And if you have a logical technical argument
against pam_console, I'd still like to hear it.

> > Based on the above analysis, I rather strongly disagree.  In every
> > way, pam_console seems up to the challenge, though it needs the
> > enhancement I mentioned regarding killing user processes before it
> > is truly ready.
>
> Doesn't sound like a solution I'd want on my machines.

Fine.  But, why?  I don't think "...because I don't like it" is a very
reasoned or sensible justification, but that seems to be the only
justification you are willing to offer.  This is starting to seem an
awful lot to me like unreasoned anti-RedHat prejudice getting in the
way of providing solid technical solutions to real problems faced by
real users every day...

--
Derek D. Martin
http://www.pizzashack.org/