Re: /etc/dhclient.conf not recognised

L.V.Gandhi wrote:

> On 6/23/06, *John Miller* <jmiller@thecsl.org
> <mailto:jmiller@thecsl.org>> wrote:
>

>     L.V.Gandhi wrote:
>     > I have dhcp server in my ADSL modem cum router. I have following
>     lines
>     > in /etc/dhclient.conf
>     > lease {
>     >   interface "eth1";
>     >   option host-name "lvghomepc";
>     >   fixed-address 192.168.1.2 <http://192.168.1.2>
>     <http://192.168.1.2>;
>     > }
>     > But ifconfig gives the following results.
>     > eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:26:54:0E:8E:C0
>     >           inet addr:192.168.1.4 <http://192.168.1.4>
>     <http://192.168.1.4>
>     > Bcast:192.168.1.255 <http://192.168.1.255> <
>     http://192.168.1.255>  Mask:255.255.255.0 <http://255.255.255.0>
>     > <http://255.255.255.0>
>     >
>     > I want to connect a laptop and pc to this dhcp server by their
>     > respective ethernet ports and do lan jobs between pc and laptop.
>     > Where am I doing mistake?
>     > --
>     > L.V.Gandhi
>     > http://lvgandhi.tripod.com/
>     > linux user No.205042
>
>     Will your DHCP server allow you to bind to 192.168.1.2
>     <http://192.168.1.2>?  If not, then
>     your DHCP client won't be able to override the server.  Something else
>     to consider is that if your client already has bound to
>     192.168.1.4 <http://192.168.1.4> in
>     the past, you might have to clear out some old leases in order to
>     get it
>     to bind to the new IP number.
>
> IMost probably lease time was the problem. Now I got 192.168.1.2
> <http://192.168.1.2>. How to know host name is recognosed in the net?
>

> --
> L.V.Gandhi
> http://lvgandhi.tripod.com/
> linux user No.205042
That should be be pretty straightforward:

$ host lvghomepc

from each computer on your network.  There are tons of other ways, too,
like ping, nslookup, etc.  If all you want to do is make sure the
hostname resolves, then making any sort of network connection should do
the trick.

Is your DHCP server also a name server?  How do you plan on resolving
hostnames on your network?

--John