Re: Problem with kernel-package

On (22/06/06 21:07), Kit Peters wrote:
> On 6/22/06, James Westby <jw+debian@jameswestby.net> wrote:
> >It is oft recommended to use fakeroot rather that a real root command
> >for compiling.
> Hm. I've never used fakeroot for anything.  How would I compile a kernel in
> fakeroot?

aptitude install fakeroot
s/sudo/fakeroot/ in your command.

That should be it. You then don't have to enter your password, and there
is less chance of something going catastrophically wrong.

> >http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=359832
> No, I'm using kernel-package 10.047.

It might be a re-occurence of a similar bug.

I am using the same version and compiled the debian 2.6.17.rc3 packages
a couple of days ago. Perhaps it could be the vanilla source that is
causing it. (Though I doubt it).

> Well, I'll try the make-kpkg clean, but I'm not sanguine about the outcome.

Neither am I.

James

--
  James Westby