Re: Problem with kernel-package

On (22/06/06 20:42), Kit Peters wrote:
> I'm trying to compile kernel 2.6.17.1 from the vanilla sources at
> kernel.org.
> As this kernel is for a specific machine, I want to append a note to the
> kernel version to reflect that fact.  Normally, I would do this from within
> $KERNEL_SOURCE_DIR/.config, but as I'm trying to keep this machine as
> "debianized" as possible (by which I mean installing everything via apt, and
> creating my own debs when necessary) I'm using kernel-package.
>
> I have configured the kernel via menuconfig.  Kernel sources are at
> $HOME/src/linux-2.6.17.1/.  I execute 'CC=gcc-4.1 make-kpkg --pgpsign
> kpeters@monolithss.com
> --rootcmd sudo --revision 1.0 --append-to-version "-pt5500" buildpackage'.

It is oft recommended to use fakeroot rather that a real root command
for compiling.

> The kernel appears to build successfully, and sudo prompts me for my
> password to execute 'debian/rules binary'.  At this point, however, it all
> goes wahooni-shaped:

You neglected to mention the version of kernel-package you are using. Is
it
that you are seeing?

> My kernel .config is attached.  Can anyone shed some light on this matter?

I saw this problem when trying to set
CONFIG_LOCALVERSION
but you are not doing this. It can also look a bit like this (but right
at the start) if you don't make-kpkg clean first.

James

--
  James Westby
  jw+debian@jameswestby.net